Saturday, April 6, 2013
Last year, after spending a small fortune on topiaries, plants, and succulents, to be able to give her place card table a garden look, I decided to try to make some topiaries on my own. Although the plants were real for the wedding..as soon as I brought them in the house...they died after a couple of weeks. I just do not have enough sun in my house..so "faux" it is! Between Hobby Lobby and the Dollar Tree Store..I was able to make a couple of faux rosemary trees for myself. They are by far not perfect...but they will look ok once I get them "accessorized"..
The little black urns were from HL at $3.00 each. The rosemary bush was $5. I bought the moss & the foam at the dollar store.
I cut the rosemary from the main stem & trimmed them up, cutting off the plastic stubs. I then wrapped 1 stem at a time until I got the fullness I wanted. I used 5 stems for each.
I then wrapped the wooden dowel with the florist tape, smoothed over the stems as best I could and then poked it into the foam which was already in the little urn. I then wet the moss, squeezed out the excess water, and tucked it into the pot as tightly as I could. Then....I took some of the little plant pieces, looped a little wire around them and poked them into the pot.
Like I said..they are far from perfect...but it sure beats paying a ton of money for one! Next ones I make with have a bigger pot...hopefully one of those rusty metal pots! Tomorrow...I'll post some pics of the succulent arrangment I made in a bird cage..but for now...I have to clean up a REALLY big mess!