Monday, September 15, 2014

FUN WEEKEND ON THE ISLAND...

MACKINAW ISLAND...that is.. It was a bit cold and the sun really didn't shine too much...but all and all Dave and I had a great time.  Lived in Michigan our whole lives, traveled here and there, but had never been to the island..  My kids, bought us a weekend package for my retirement gift, and we couldn't wait to go!!   It is very, very touristy...and the restaurants are a bit expensive...$13.99 for a bacon cheeseburger is a bit too much money for us retirees...but we had so much fun! Took the tour of the island, took the tour of the Grand Hotel which is VERY GRAND!!  And then pretty much just hung out...

Hubs and I at "The Arch"...there's some big legend about this rock that somehow formed a big arch in the middle of it...but the tour guide said it was most probably "erosion"....I like to think it was the legend.....

Need I say more...this hotel is absolutely fabulous...the money that has been poured into is unbelievable...no wonder it costs $700 per night!!


Looks like I was trying to sneak in...but it actually cost us $20 bucks just to walk through the hotel...well worth it!



Beautiful homes surrounding the Grand Hotel...I would have loved to had a peak inside...I would have gladly paid another $10!


Beautiful horse owned by a private resident..after all...it's the only way of commuting on the island...bicycle or horse.  In the winter months it's by snowmobile.  Interesting way of life...there are 492 permanent, year round residents on the island.  And they love it...wouldn't live anyplace else on earth!

6 comments:

  1. What a wonderful trip and wonderful gift from your kids. We have some grand hotels with high prices, nice to look at but way too much for me to pay, lol.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you had a great time on the island. I grew up an hours drive from it and have only been there once in my life when I graduated from 8th grade! Gorgeous pics Bobbie. Hugs, Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. just look at how cute you two are!!! so happy you had a great time ~ I love MI when I get the chance to visit there :)
    L

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures, Bobbie. I was there about 15 years ago. Fun place, but the thing I remember most is the smell of fudge mixed with horse poop...lol! Clop, clop.
    See you next week!
    Hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a wonderful trip Bobbie, very nice place,Blessings Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG I cannot tell you how many times I have been on the island. My parents started taking us over there even before the new ferries started. Don't buy the fudge on the island. Same company sells it cheaper in Mackinac and St Ignas. Love riding bikes around in inland..so many fantastic homes. My brother stayed at the Heather House for his honeymoon and saw a ghost at the foot of his bed one evening. The lady at the desk told him lots of guests see ghosts. Glad you had a great time. BTW, Bob has never been to the island..we plan on going next year. Janice

    ReplyDelete