Saturday, September 12, 2015

Sad Goodbye...

This past week my brothers and I had a deep loss in our family...our dad.  Although, he was 88 years old, we just didn't expect him to go quite so soon.   He was my stepdad, but the only dad I ever had...since I was four years old.  He was the only grandpa my children ever knew.  Dad was such a nice man...quiet, intelligent, and wise.  Full of stories.  He owned his own business (a dry cleaning business) for almost four decades.  He hired me to work on Saturdays at the ripe old age of 12...paying me $4 for the day.  At that time (1964), I thought $4 was a small fortune..it allowed me to buy my Barbie doll clothes, my first small hand-held hair dryer, tickets for a Beatle's concert (the ticket was $4.50....I still have the stub), and Tiger-Beat magazines...the list could go on and on... Dad taught me a good work ethic, which I hope I had continued throughout my nursing career.

He left behind my two wonderful, younger brothers...who took such good care of him these past few months.  Not long before he passed...he kept telling my mom that someone was tapping him on his shoulder..his left shoulder...my mom was sitting with him on the right...not near his shoulder or left side. He repeated it several times......I have to believe that someone was gently guiding him home....easing his pain....putting his mind at ease...telling him it was time to go....he went peacefully that evening, with my brother at his side....God Bless you Dad...we'll miss you......




20 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear about your dad, he sounds like a wonderful man, dad and grandfather.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely tribute Bobbie...with a sweet photo...losing them is so hard...but having him in your life was worth it...hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bobbie,
    I'm so sorry for the loss of your dad. Such a wonderful tribute and sweet picture. Keeping you and your family in my prayers. Big hugs, Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bobbie,
    So sorry for your loss. Thankfully his passing sounded peaceful.
    Big hugs,
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  5. many hugs for you & your family my sweet friend ~ thoughts of healing & peace for all…
    L

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bobbie I know how it is to lose a Dad... he sounds like he was such a wonderful guy. Sending prayers for you and your family. I love your memories of what you spent your paycheck on too.... a Beatles ticket for $4.50..oh my! Those were the days! Great memories!!
    Warm hugs!!
    Cathy G

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will be praying for you and your family during this time. I am so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh so sorry to hear about your Dad, my heart aches for you.Hugs Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. But how wonderful that you had this good man in your life. My dad passed one year ago at 90. I was lucky to have had him with me these many years.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a sweet picture of your Dad.
    ((((((Hugs)))))

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm very sorry for your loss and pray for comfort for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. Yoour dad looked like he was having fun in that red car! Memories will always be there Janice

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry for your loss. My sympathy to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry to hear about your dad - he sounds like a wonderful man. It is never "long enough" to have a parent and it is always so hard to lose them. Hopefully you will find healing in your memories of him. Jane

    ReplyDelete
  15. So sorry for your loss.

    Cindy Huxtable

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Bobbie,
    Though words can't take away the pain of your loss, please know that I am thinking of you and trusting that God will surround you with His Peace and comfort!! It is so hard to lose a parent, but those sweet memories you have will help you through this hard time!!
    Sending Hugs and Prayers~
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so sorry for your loss :( please know that I am thinking of you today. Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good morning Bobbie - I am so sorry and understand your loss.
    It is never easy even knowing - I like where you said "I have to believe that someone was gently guiding him home....easing his pain....putting his mind at ease...telling him it was time to go".
    How beautiful.
    Blessings and prayers for your whole family.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sweet tribute, Bobbie ~ my sympathy to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete