Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Bye-Bye Mamie!!

Yep...that was what you called the "ever so popular" pink bathroom in the fifties...A Mamie Eisenhower bathroom..Seems it was all the rage in the fifties....pink tile, pink toilet, pink bathtub, pink wall tiles...UGH....I needed some "pink Pepto Bismol" for the past 28 years just to deal with it...and Yes...I said 28 years....When we moved into our house in 1988, that was one of the first things to get gutted...uh-huh...my husband is not one to remodel...you know the old saying..."If it ain't broke...don't fix"..that was his mantra all these years until I seriously started talking about moving.  He never wants to move...so I guess he figured if he wants to keep the old gal (meaning ME or maybe the house...not sure), he better give me the moolah to remodel!

So here are some before shots:


Although the tub looks big....it wasn't...it was only 52 inches long.  I could never soak in it, because my legs would rest on the wall by the faucet.  And talk about trying to clean the tub...I had to get into
just to wipe it down...it always looked gross....

.

And dig the vanity...all custom made in 1956...I guess it must have been quite something way back then...but trying to keep the grout clean in those little mosiac tiles...not so easy...I went through many a toothbrush and bottles of peroxide and baking soda.



We came home from our vacation...the contractors already had it gutted......YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


And...they went about 5 feet into our fourth bedroom, taking out the closet so I could have a larger bathtub and an upstairs laundry room...double YAY!!


It will take about 4 weeks to complete...but after 28 years of waiting .....what's another four weeks??

Have a great day!  It's hotter than blue blazes...but it's summer and it's already half way over...so gotta enjoy!!

17 comments:

  1. I so excited for you. Your bathroom is going to be gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOOHOOOOO! I love a good remodel, 'specially one from pink to …whatever you choose will be awesome I'm sure!
    L

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's my in-law's bathroom, only bigger! How exciting. I want so badly to have a laundry room but the piping can't be done. I also want to give up a tiny bedroom for a bigger bath but ... "resale" value is affected. Who the hell cares! It's for my benefit not someone I don't even know. MY husband's saying is
    "good enough".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is a fun bathroom, lol. We have the 70's bathroom, taupe or beige or whatever ugly shade that is.
    Can't wait to see the new bathroom and wondering what the estimate is? I really want to guy ours, not only is it ugly, the tiles are broken and moldy grout and I can clean all I want, but the black just keeps coming back.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. 28 years! Well I suppose you would want to rush into such a thing😜 I'm not much of a pink person anyways so I think you must be much stronger than me. Bet you can't wait to get the new installed and in use. Looking forward to "after" pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Bobbie,
    Your bathroom will be SO NICE when it is done!!! Yippee!!! I know you must be soooooo excited!!! Can't wait to see the "after" pictures!!! Try to stay cool!
    Heart Hugs~
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG Bobbie, I thought I was looking at my own bath for a minute. I have the same ugly pink everything..except my tile is all the way up the walls. Been here 14 years and next year hopefully ours will get done. Cannot wait to see your remodel. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have the pink bathroom, too, but only the tile walls and that's bad enough. A re-do is not in my future...sigh. Yours will be lovely, I'm sure.
    Hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  9. So exciting! Can't wait to see the renovation. The time will go by before you know it. Lori

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait to see it when it's done!!!!
    Bet you so happy to be home and see the progress.
    Hugs.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know the remodel is going to be gorgeous...you have such excellent taste...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the memories.........

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bonnie, I grew up with a pink tile bathroom with black trim and GREEN fixtures! Yep, the house was built in 1948 and we had the latest rage too. It was pretty ugly. Good luck with your new renovations and I look forward to seeing the finished product. It sounds like it will be awesome and much more efficient for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the pink but I am excited to see the new. I only like the pink because it's fun to see the style from 28 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had a bathroom very similar to this but smaller and it also was going to be the first thing done when we bought the house. About 25 years later we have finally remodeled it. It's amazing what you can learn to live with! Can't wait to see your after pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I learned something new today! Mamie Eisenhower bathroom. My sister has one. Good luck with the remodel.

    ReplyDelete